The “First Friday” of the month is often marked by special devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus since Jesus died for us all on a Friday.
St. Margaret Mary Alacoque (1647-1690) had visions of Jesus Christ telling her to promote the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus on nine consecutive First Fridays. In return for this act of devotion, which usually includes Mass, Holy Communion, confession and an hour of Eucharistic Adoration, our blessed Savior promised St. Margaret Mary the following blessings:
1. I will give them all of the graces necessary for their state of life.
2. I will establish peace in their homes.
3. I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
4. I will be their strength during life and above all during death.
5. I will bestow a large blessing upon all their undertakings.
6. Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.
7. Tepid souls shall grow fervent.
8. Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
9. I will bless every place where a picture of my heart shall be set up and honored.
10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
11. Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
12. I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant all to those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.